Saturday, October 4, 2008

Admin Update XII: Klingons in the White House?

Greetings PMW Readers

Goofers is still on sabbatical, or whatever, although hopefully he’ll fit a few posts in here before the election. After the election, the whole staff may be taking a sabbatical (or moving Canada! The horror, the horror!). Meanwhile, I will continue covering the debates and responding to commenters.

I support our wonderful commenters in their ongoing journey toward staying on-topic. So many good points have been competing with semi-related (at best) Star Trek references. While I absolutely want to encourage limiting those references, I do offer a treat for all our Star Trek fans in PMW Nation. As always, we are maintaining a political context.

David Wu, (D-Crazytown, OR) apparently knows more about Star Trek than politics. Imagine Ron Paul in a Star Trek uniform. Nothing like making a moral argument about public policy with a Star Trek analogy! I leave it open to our commenters to determine if his analogy made sense.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Don't let faux Klingons send real Americans to war."

So many things to say.

First: Real Klingons would not send anyone to war. As Worf can attest, Klingons don't ask anyone to do their fighting for them. They go to war themselves -- that's the honorable thing to do. Perhaps Riker would know a bit more about honor if he spent more time on the bridge and less in a certain counselor's quarters.

Second: I don't really follow Wu's comparison between Vulcans and those in the Bush administration. I have relatively little experience with Vulcans, but the Enterprise did employ two -- Col'toq and Needwana, both ensigns -- in lower engineering. From my conversations with them, they are a logical race that, frankly, is above workplace politics. Running a warp drive is too stressful to allow time for loitering and gossip. So comparing these guys to actual politicians makes no sense.

Bottom line: Rep. Wu deserves praise for referencing our intergalactic adventures, but I'm not sure I give him much credit beyond that. I do, however, give him more credit than Riker will ever get.

Meet me in Ten Forward and prove yourself, commander. Data can officiate. I will drink you under the table.

LeVar

The Waco Kid said...

...

Anonymous said...

David Wu is a nut, in the mold of Dana Scallon or Derek Nally here in Ireland or Nader and Paul in the states. He has little important to say and just seems to want attention. Politicians need to stop appealing to people with catchy but empty analogies and people should realise celebrities like Dana or Sarah Palin are not automatically cut out for political leadership. I'm so glad the Federation moved beyond this petty nonsense.

Anonymous said...

I suspect Scallon has more than Palin, but only because I'm not familiar with Irish politics. I must spend more time in the library on Deck 13.

LeVar

Anonymous said...

Aye. Luckily our politics hasn't been as frustrating as yours.